A position is available for a postdoctoral research fellow in structural biology in the group of Savvas Savvides at Ghent University and the VIB (Ghent, Belgium).
• At least 70% of your assignment will be spent on academic research in structural biology within the Unit for Structural Biology embedded in the Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology (WE10) and you will provide technical support for data acquisition and analysis in single-particle electron microscopy.
• You will assist in teaching activities at the Bachelor’s or Master’s level.
• You will counsel Master’s students in their exercises, work placement and Master’s dissertation.
• You hold a doctoral degree in Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Biophysics, Structural Biology or a subject considered relevant by the selection committee. The degree requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment. For diplomas awarded outside the European Union, a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted.
• You have already conducted research and acquired technical skills in electron microscopy (EM) and in particular cryoEM towards the determination of the three-dimensional structure of proteins, protein-protein, and protein-ligand complexes. Such research experience needs to be supported by a publication track record in scientific journals that subscribe to the peer-review process. Additional research experience in one of the following complementary methods within structural biology could be an advantage:
- Macromolecular X-ray Crystallography
- Small-angle X-ray Scattering
• You are familiar and have practical experience with biophysical methods for the study of protein-protein and protein-ligand interactions (e.g. Isothermal Titration Calorimetry, Biolayer interferometry, Multi-angle laser light scattering).
• You have broad practical experience in molecular biology, protein biochemistry, and tissue culture for the production and purification of mammalian recombinant proteins and complexes thereof towards structural and biophysical studies.
• You have distinguished yourself as a promising researcher during your doctorate.
• You are interested in coaching students in the Bachelor’s, Master’s and/or Advanced Master’s programmes.
For more information and to apply, click here.